If you are a parent of minor children (or those with special needs) who are counting on you, your estate plan must begin by ensuring your children will always be taken care of by the people you want, in the way you want, no matter what happens.
At Palm Desert Law Group one of our areas of greatest expertise is in planning for the well-being and care of the children you love.
Without advance legal planning for the care of your children, if the unthinkable happens to you, here’s what could happen:
- Your children could be placed into the care of Child Protective Services (yes, even if you have a will in place and even if you have a living trust). Even though this placement would very likely be temporary, you would never want your children in the arms of strangers. Not even for a minute.
- Your children could be put into the custody and care of people you would never want, like that one family member who has good intentions, but you’d never want raising your kids.
- A judge who doesn’t know you, or your family, could end up deciding who will raise your kids, even if it’s the last person you would ever want.
- Your family could get into a long, drawn out custody fight or there could be a challenge to the guardians you have chosen.
- Up to 5% of the value of your assets could be lost to court costs and other unnecessary fees through the probate process, which could tie up your assets for years and deprive your children of the resources they need to live comfortably.
- When your kids turn 18, they could get a check for whatever assets are left over.
- Unscrupulous people who have made it their business to look at public records to find out when 18 yearolds are getting their inheritance checks could be waiting to pounce on your vulnerable children.
Sadly, the vast majority of estate planning attorneys do not address these issues, and do not plan from a parent’s perspective.
Yes, these things scare us too. That’s why we offer a Kids Protection Plan with every estate plan we do for families with young children.
A Kids Protection Plan® is a set of instructions, legal documents and even an ID card for your wallet, which you need to have if you have kids at home who count on you for their well-being and care.
If you are in an accident, your Kids Protection Plan® will make sure your children are never taken into the custody of Child Protective Services, strangers or the care of anyone you wouldn’t want because the authorities don’t have clear instructions from you. And your Kids Protection Plan® will ensure your children are raised by people you choose, not someone chosen by a Judge who doesn’t know you.
Contact us today to get started with your Kids Protection Plan®.
For more information about our unique membership programs, please contact us.